The journey to creating your dream home is an exciting and liberating experience! From design consultations and material selections, to the unveiling of your 3D renderings and the start of construction, the process of seeing your dream project come to life is unforgettable. But before your project crew shows up, you will want to spend some time getting your home and family ready for a smooth transition.
HERE ARE FIVE STEPS TO HELP YOU PREPARE FOR YOUR REMODEL:
1. Clean out all rooms and hallways that are being remodeled. Remove furniture, artwork from walls, and any other belongings. We recommend removing items hanging on walls in common traffic areas and walls adjacent to those involved in your remodel project as well. Store these items in an unaffected area of your home or in a storage unit temporarily.
2. Designate alternate areas for family activities. Identify new locations for activities that typically take place in the room(s) you are remodeling. This will minimize the disruption to your daily routine. Relocate any necessities to the new temporary spaces, such as computers, televisions, homework tables, etc.
3. Clear your driveway and make room in your garage for deliveries. Remove stationary items from your driveway such as basketball nets, trash receptacles, or storage containers. Ask your remodeler if access to your garage would be helpful for delivering and storing materials. They should be able to provide you with a schedule of deliveries.
4. Prepare your pets. Pets tend to be more prone to disruption of their regular routine than people. That’s why it’s important to get your pets set up with a place for them to relax and eat that is away from any construction areas. Start this new routine a few days before the remodeling starts to allow them some time to adjust. Be sure to let the crew know how many pets you have and where they are within your home.
5. Kitchen & Bath Prep. If you are remodeling a kitchen or bathroom we recommend the following:
a. Pack cabinets one by one and label the contents of each box. This will make unpacking so much easier.
b. Compile essentials and relocate them to your alternate eating space or bathroom.
c. Purchase disposable items such as plates, bowls, cups, plastic utensils, and paper towels.
d. Move your refrigerator and microwave to the garage, basement or other appropriate spot where you can have easy access. Consider purchasing a hot plate.
e. Prepare and freeze meals ahead of time.
We hope that these tips will make the transition into construction easy for you and your family. At Benson Homes, we provide you with a detailed project schedule and have weekly on-site meetings to discuss your project’s progress. It’s our goal to make the remodeling process as stress-free as possible for you and your family!